EVERYONE KNOWS THAT if you can't sleep, the expected go-to foods for insomnia are turkey and warm milk.
But what about a banana split? Wishful thinking...but is it?
There are five foods that you wouldn't normally think of as helping you to fall asleep – and the best news is that three of them can be found in a banana split sundae so maybe there is hope afterall.
The next time you're having trouble falling asleep, try snacking on these five healthy – and low fat – foods before bedtime.
1. Almonds – are an excellent source of magnesium, which is a natural muscle relaxant and contain anti-stress properties
2. Cherries – a study found people who consumed tart cherry juice concentrate for seven days had significantly higher melatonin (a hormone that controls your sleep and wake cycles) in their urine, and experience improved sleep quality.
3. Bananas – are sort of wonder food when it comes to sleeping. Bananas are rich in magnesium, potasium and tryptophan, which are the "magic trio" of sleep boosters.
4. Valerian – okay, you're not alone if you've never heard of valerian. Wikipedia says it's a plant whose roots can be used as an herb or dietary supplement. It's been used as a sleeping aid in Ancient Greece and Rome.
5. Oatmeal – isn't just for breakfast anymore, at least not if you want to sleep better at night. Besides having a warm and soothing texture, oatmeal is high in magnesium and potassium, putting oatmeal right up there with bananas.
So, perhaps a bowl of ice cream topped with bananas, cherries and almonds would qualify as medicinal....it works for us!